The following guidelines will accompany the contract to be signed by each participant prior to attending an investigation:
Guidelines regarding the format of the investigation
1. A neutral moderator or moderator’s panel shall conduct the meeting and be responsible for insuring it is conducted in accordance with the rules of engagement.
2. The topic for discussion should, if practical be presented as a statement that can be answered with a yes or no answer. One side of the room will be the forum for persons wishing to ask or respond to questions from the yes point of view. The other side of the room shall be the forum for persons wishing to ask or respond from the no point of view.
3. If the topic is not presented as a yes or no proposition the moderator and participants can organize the room in a manner that brings persons of a like mind together to formulate and respond to questions. The organization can be revised at any time according to the question posed.
4. An area between the two sides will be designated as the audience for those wishing to listen but not participate.
5. Seating is by individual choice and any person may at any time move to other areas of the room to listen in on, or participate in the discussion relating to the formulation of questions or answers.
6. Each forum shall choose a spokesperson to speak for that view in posing or responding to questions. The spokesperson can change from question to question.
7. The proceeding shall be based on alternating questions, or series of questions.
8. All questions and all answers shall be simple and direct, no question or answer can exceed 30 seconds in length. The representatives of any particular forum shall consult among themselves to formulate questions or answers that meet the guidelines.
9. Statements of opinion or assertions of undocumented fact are not allowed except in response to a question from the other side. Questions must focus on the logic and/or facts that underlie beliefs. Questions may be prefaced with brief statements of fact related to the question.
10. After each question the moderator shall allow a reasonable time for discussion among the answering forum participants in formulating an answer. If an answer cannot be formulated within a reasonable time the answering forum may request an extension of time to respond, and the Moderator at that time may move on to other questions.
11. At the end of the gathering the moderator will inquire if the participants desire to continue at another date.